Friday, January 4, 2008

Inclement Weather

Early this morning, I sleepily rose from bed to go for a run. All night long I could hear the rain and wind outside, but I was not really aware of how bad it was until I got dressed, stretched, and stepped outside for my run.
The first half of my run had me generally running into the wind and driving rain. Basically, that meant that my face was being pelted by painful stinging rain and I had to squint my eyes e whlti and look down at the ground just in front of me so that I could only see the next couple of steps most of the time. On top of that, I had to expend double the effort to actually move forward rather than run in place. The winds this morning are near a constant 40 mph with gusts near 60 mph. On the return trip, the wind added some help as it mostly blew at my back. The gusts though, seemed to be going several different directions, and one of them actually tripped me and blew me over! There I was, innocently running along, soaking wet, and a gust hit my left side, blew my left leg behind my right leg in mid stride thus tripping me and making me fall over!
After I made it the rest of the way home and took off my soaking clothes (with about 10 pounds of water in them) I realized that maybe it would have been best to just stay in bed this morning and wait until tomorrow to run. As I started to warm up and dry off though, I was glad that I had braved the storm. I mean hey, I was the only one out there, so I was able to enjoy some solitude, I had a good excuse for running slow, and how many people can say that the wind has tripped them!
Crazy weather + running = a nice Friday morning adventure.

No comments: