Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Laughter

As stressful and tiring as parenting can be at times, having a child around also brings a great deal of laughter. There are so many moments where Natalie just makes me laugh a good deep belly laugh and I love it. It is a good break from the seriousness of life.

Last night she was taking a bath and she had some gas that resulted in bubbles suddenly bursting around her. Well, she looks at Jamie and I and we laugh at the surprised/amused look on her face, which I am sure she interpreted as approval because she starts grunting and and doubling over. This soon results in more bubbles and more laughter. Keep in mind, Natalie is only 21 months old, so she has yet to master the art of controlling her bodily functions. Thus after a few times of pushing and bubbles and laughter - she strains so hard she pushes out a nice pellet of poop! Oh, the joys of bathing a child...

Then there was the night a few weeks ago when she woke up at 2:30 in the morning (not at all unusual for her) and I went in to pray with her and put her back to sleep. As soon as I walked in the room, she says "ice cream?" What in the world kid? It is the middle of the night and we are both half asleep, but you are asking for ice cream? I couldn't help but laugh out loud even if I was half asleep.

A couple days ago, she woke up early from a nap, so I told her to try and sleep a little longer and then I left the room. A few minutes later, I hear her on the monitor singing! She was singing twinkle twinkle little star as good as she could, which sounds a bit like this:
twinkle twinkle star
wonder are
up above the world high
like diamond sky
twinkle star
I just had to laugh at how cute she was. Anyway, I have never had anything bring a genuine deep smile to my face so quickly as my child. And speaking of smiles, Natalie has a rather interesting and entertaining way of smiling, but I love it! Here are a few examples.

4 comments:

mrs.fitz said...

Oh my goodness, I was laughing out loud, but quietly, my boys are sleeping. I think God intended for them to make us laugh, otherwise the pressure would be too intense.

Fleck, the Mrs. said...

I love this blog! Especially the pictures of Natalie...they made me laugh out loud. What in the world is that face all about? Zoe makes crazy faces like that too. It's a crack up!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh she got so much more hair than last I saw her. It's such a pretty color. You're right, her smile is so funny. I have never heard of that rendition of twinkle twinkle, but I liked it.

Chris, Julee, Aiden and Kailen said...

SO much fun! love the pics and the stories. Aiden has us laughing quite a bit these days as well. I can't imagine the two of them playing together, though I'm sure we'd all be crying because we'd be laughing so hard!