Monday, April 14, 2008

Confessions of a recovering pack rat

This weekend, we unpacked some more boxes and moved some more to our garage. Though our apartment here in Spokane is larger inside, it has less storage room, so our garage is currently serving mostly as storage. I don't know about anyone else that has moved several times, but as we were unpacking our moving truck, I realized there were several boxes worth of stuff that we haven't unpacked for years. We stored it at one place, moved it, and we are storing it again. I have to admit, that is more a result of my hoarding tendencies than Jamie's more organized personality. But after several moves, it is time to get vicious and say goodbye to some stuff that once seemed so important to save for some reason...
The truth is that much of what I have had a hard time parting with is stuff that is sentimental to me for some reason. Things like a practice football jersey from high school, plaques from competing in the pinewood derby in Cub Scouts, medals from grade school spelling bees, and even notebooks I doodled on in high school and college. I am realizing though, that having them in a box that I never open doesn't really serve the sentimental purpose of saving these items. The rest of the stuff is made up mostly of items that I save mainly because they interest me and I have this nagging fear that if I throw them away I might "need" them someday in the future. Included in this category are things like notes from my college classes (at least the ones that I thought were actually interesting), books that I have never read and don't really plan to but that have intriguing titles, and clothes that I haven't worn in years but who knows...maybe I will want to again.
Moving itself is not something I would recommend incredibly highly, but it does force you to confront the amount of "stuff" that you accumulate. My honest confession is that it kind of makes me sad that I have this much stuff, but at the same time, it may actually be difficult to part with some of it. Oh well, it must go. Is that why I hang on to some of my emotional "stuff" from the past too? Do I think it might come in handy some time? I don't know, but I think that is the topic for another time...it does make me think though...

4 comments:

mrs.fitz said...

I can definitely relate...we may not have even moved as often as you. it's not only a confrontation of your stuff, but often (for me) of my life to that point...because of the packing and unpacking it's like re-visiting those significant times in your life. (and thanks for the comment...i really appreciate it)

Unknown said...

Wow Jeff, I think you hit the nail on the head on this one. I am definitely the organized mover; Tim the hoarder. But after so many moves, I have finally convinced him that the entire box of sheet music he saved during the 2 years he was a music major wasn't neccessary anymore. I have yet to convince him that his college notes, and the 50 or so college books that still sit on our bookshelf are not valuable. Oh well, you pick your battles.

I do recognize the need to be sentimental though. I am not a pack nazi :)

Sarah said...

Ha! You'd think that after all the times I've moved around I would be able to fit my life into 2 suitcases...I blame my hoarding tendancies on my childhood..when I was forced to sell everything when we moved to America:)I went through so mnay boxes of stuff before I moved out here it was ridiculous:)..but its true you never know when you might need it:)...miss you guys..praying for your transition.
ps..what was the name of that book you gave to your dad to read? about that Muslim turned Christian traveling around or something like that?

Erica said...

Nathan is a total sentimental person. We have a box of old marbles in the garage for about 8 years. In his defense our kids are now getting hours of enjoyment out of them.