Monday, November 19, 2007

I Ride a Scooter

A few months ago, we were given a 1985 Honda CH80 scooter. It is a wonderful gift and has served us well already. At this point, it is my primary means of transportation. Since I only have to commute about 6 miles to work each day, the scooter is a wonderful way for me to save gas and enjoy the fresh morning air. I'll be honest, I ride the scooter mostly because it is economical (80 miles per gallon) but also because it is my only option right now. My other option, a Nissan Sentra (also given to us) needs a new clutch and we can't afford to fix it right now.
This morning it was raining as I got ready for work. Part of me really wished I had the Nissan to drive today but instead, I put on my full rainsuit and rode to work. It was on the way to work that I realized how much our culture is focused on convenience. The thought of riding a scooter in the rain on a cold morning would make most people (myself included) balk. Why? Because it is not convenient to wear full rain gear; because it is cold; because it makes me "suffer" a little bit. We have so many options here in the United States, but I have to ask myself, "are we using these options wisely?" How can I best honor God with my resources? I think part of that answer for me, is riding my scooter even when it is cold and rainiy, and even if I have other options. Why? Because it is kinder to the environment, it saves gas, and it really is not that big of a deal to be "inconvenienced" for a few minutes each morning and evening.
Sometimes making a good choice is not convenient, but hopefully I can get past my American ideals that say I "deserve" comfort luxury in order to make choices that better honor God through the use of the resources he has given me. It is all His anyway, so how can I best use what he has allowed me to borrow for right now?

No comments: