Friday, November 30, 2007

Friends

Sometimes we just need other people. I could say a lot about how frustrating it can be to live in such a technologically advanced society and yet feel so isolated and alone at times, but that is a topic for another time. The last year has been really hard for us as we have lived in two different countries, four different cities, and transitioned through some of the most major life changes we can. It has been incredibly lonely at times, but I have been reminded numerous times of the incredible value of true friends. Sometimes I have been reminded of this value by their absence from my life and by their distance, but sometimes it has been a result of a friend caring at just the right time and reaching out to support, encourage and love.
Though whole books could be written about this, I just simply wanted to say that I have been reminded of the great blessing that relationships with others can provide and the great need that we have for others in our lives. I may still be young (at least I think so) but I have seen a lot, and I know that I would rather die poor and surrounded by true, loving friends than to get a great job that provides all I could want materially and yet leaves me isolated and lonely in the end. Wouldn't it be great if we all invested more in each other and less in getting that new flat screen plasma TV? I don't know about anyone else, but I hope and pray that my life can reflect my priorities in the long term and in the small decisions of everday - may my life reveal that people are more important to me than things...

No comments: