Friday, March 14, 2008

Politics

So I have to be honest, I am kind of fed up with politics. I have paid more attention to the presidential primaries this year than ever before, and I am probably more passionate about certain issues that I ever have been, but the back and forth, nit picking of politics just gets old real fast. Analyzing everything a person says and looking for the crack in their impenetrable ideological armor seems to have very little to do with actually leading the people.
It's not that I don't care about our country, or what direction it goes - I really do. The discouraging thing is that all the press coverage and news seems to focus more on the "controversies" and the attacks that somehow are supposed to show us how unfit a person is for the position they are running for. Right now I am at the point of almost wanting to just ignore it all. How is a follower of Christ supposed to respond to all of this and engage in the political process? How would Jesus do it? Would he even get involved? Our version of political leadership seems to have developed into a fierce competition about who is the best - a stark contrast to the leadership of Jesus.
I don't have any profound conclusions at this point. Just questions. How am I to follow Jesus in this type of situation?

No comments: